Peter MacDonald - Project Manager
A Chartered Engineer with the IMechE, I am an Engineering Project Manager with over 13 years post-university experience in an engineering projects environment.
Experienced in coordinating tendering/price build, design, supply, manufacture, testing & commissioning aspects of high value engineering projects. In both my current & previous positions I have been involved in tender preparation, regular customer interaction, cost reviews, progress reporting, expediting, organising qualification & shipping and participation in design liaison meetings.
Throughout my engineering career I have been working with clients and employers who are keen to innovate, and I have been directly involved in supporting this both in technical and commercial sense. Several of my roles (AWS Ocean Energy and FMC Technologies in particular) have been R&D focussed, so I understand this from the inside, I’ve also been involved in funding applications, and investor pitches, so I know this aspect of innovation well.
I’ve had dealings with Intellectual Property, in terms of discussions with Patent Attorneys, and reviewing patent paperwork, and I have a good basic understanding of the IP landscape. Through my close work with 4c Engineering, I have been directly supporting small clients with innovation, including working closely with Anna Renouf at Orrin Equestrian on product development towards commercialisation, and undertaking a feasibility study for an innovative paper recycling project in the Falkland Islands.
I have worked with Scottish Enterprise and SDI on promoting Scotland abroad at international events like ICOE and I’ve been engaged with HIE supported businesses on delivering innovation support, both through my work with 4c Engineering as a contractor, and as MacDonald Project Solutions.
I pride myself on quickly forming positive relationships with customers, contractors and suppliers across a wide range of cultural backgrounds, going beyond good customer service to properly forming solid working relationships. In several of my interactions with clients, suppliers and project team members I have used digital channel to communicate, and I am very comfortable with this approach to service delivery.
Although a qualified engineer, I am conscious that my role as Project Manager requires keeping the larger picture in perspective, and ensuring that each part of the team is focussed on delivering to the project requirements. One of my key strengths is keeping track of multiple tasks, activities and deadlines, ensuring that priorities are aligned, that actions are handled in correct order, and that a culture of fire-fighting is avoided by proper planning. Prioritising is essential here to ensure best use of resources, and best outcomes for clients.
I can use my technical understanding and enthusiasm to quickly establish a connection with engineers on the team, to understand their deliverables, to incorporate their scope into tender packages, and to monitor the progress of technical execution, but I can also engage non-technically with laypersons, as I’ve regularly needed to interface between the very technical staff and completely non-technical members of a project team.
I have extensive experience of sourcing new suppliers/contractors, evaluating competing tenders for scopes of work, and driving best value pre-order, then following up during execution with supervision, expediting and liaison as needed. I’ve led workshops with multiple participants, both as part of my professional role, and also within leadership roles in societies and churches.
MacDonald Project Solutions Ltd
I made the decision to go freelance in 2017, and set up my own Engineering Project Management and Innovation consultancy, with the particular offering of being able to provide short-term, flexible and part-time support to clients. This has meant working on several interesting projects concurrently with customers appreciating the targeted and specific support when they need it, this requires clear communication and effective time/resource management.
Projects worked on have all been in the “Green” sector, including marine energy development (WES project - AWS Ocean Energy and Sea Power Ltd), supporting installation of new technology (the Microsoft Subsea Data Centre in EMEC) and commissioning support on a CHP biomass build.
I have also been supporting clients with business development, attending industry events and workshops, although the requirement for my support may be intermittent by nature, my relationships with clients are long-term.
Project Manager – previous experience
- Taking projects from Purchase Order award & contract handover, through design, supply, manufacture, shipping, installation, commissioning and warranty period, liaising with clients on a daily basis as required, covering both technical and commercial correspondence.
- Project Manager for Multi-discipline engineering company, that provides bespoke solutions, including equipment and services; covering tendering/price build, design, fabrication, machining, procurement, assembly, painting, testing and commissioning. Values of projects up to £3million
- Working on cross-functional projects, with civil, electrical, mechanical, instrumentation and process engineers.
- Developed concepts with clients and design engineers in house and executed these to meet non-standard challenges.
- Financial reporting, preparing tenders, conducting project kick off and close out (lessons learned) meetings.
- Built & led an engineering team, including recruitment phase (from job post drafting, through CV review, candidate selection and interviewing) comprising both office staff and trades roles.
- Managed the social media presence for the company (Facebook & LinkedIn).
- Particular experience in flexible materials, strong understanding of textile yarns, weaves, coating type and fabrication methods, with the most cutting edge of modern technical textiles, co-ordinated testing programme.
- Maintaining risk register & mitigating risks
- Managing change – preparing variation orders, dealing with scope creep, managing resource constraints to minimise impact to project margin and delivery.
- Formulated, submitted, and negotiated claims for variations and backcharges with clients and suppliers
- Member of Renewables Working Group, developing renewables market entry proposals for corporate review, working with Scottish Development International & Scottish Enterprise
Other Skills/Personal Interests
- Attended HIE Strategic Marketing Masterclass
- Professionally Qualified Person (PQP) CSCS Health Safety & Environment Card
- Organised and attended in-house training on protective coatings by Jotun Paints
- KARRASS Negotiation Skills Training
- Scotworks Negotiation Skills Training
- Method Statement & Risk Assessment Training
- Leader in Church Youth Group (2014-present)
- Member of Strathclyde University Challenge team, reached 2nd round TV finals 2003
- I enjoy DIY, cycling, playing football (5s & 7s) and the occasional pub quiz when I get the opportunity.