Jacek Gajewicz - Mechanical Design Engineer
Tech Frontier - Mechanical Engineering Consultancy
In June 2017 I have decided to start my own mechanical engineering consultancy. During the last one and a half years I have undertaken multiple finite element and structural analysis and design jobs for various clients. I have been providing engineering support for fabrication workshops and finally was contracted to engineer a mechanism for an innovative animal welfare product. All these jobs are described here.
Employment with Ross Shire Engineering
Prior to starting my own business, I worked on several high value and complex machinery projects. During my employment with Ross Shire Engineering (RSE) I have been pivotally involved in projects for the Oil & Gas industry. I was the design lead on a specialised pipe production machine project worth over £700k. In my latter time with Ross Shire Engineering, I have led another machine design project for a welding turn-table worth £350k+. I was also involved in multiple pipe handling equipment design projects and have served as the companie's “go-to” person for structural and engineering calculations. At the very beginning of the employment with RSE I have designed the skeleton structure for their key product – the transportable treatment units (TTUs), which is used successfully to this day and produced in large quantities.
Prior to graduation and moving to United Kingdom and starting with Ross Shire Engineering, I was involved with multiple engineering companies. My responsibilities varied from simple draughting to complete mechanical design of machines. The most important of these, which I completed in my final year, was the design of a Vicat type machine for laboratory testing of building materials for Sochor. I have undertaken this kind of job
s since my 2nd year of university, which gives me over 12 years of experience in the field.
- 3D modelling, design and technical documentation
- design verification and technical assessment
- structural integrity and stress analysis
- mathematical modelling, technical computing
- feasibility studies
- linear and non-linear FEA
- design of specialised lifting equipment
- wind and snow loading calculations
- preparing commercial offers for design and manufacture
- preparing technical documentation for manufacturing
- design risk assessments
- design and analysis reports, traceability for CE Marking
- supervising manufacturing
- quality checks and as-built surveys
- working ‘hand in glove’ with fabrication and machining workshops
Key Skills & Competencies
- over 7 years of experience in engineering calculations and analysis including wind and snow loadings; structural analysis of steel frame buildings; hydraulic pipeline calculations; strength calculations for lifting equipment and machine components; hydraulic, electrical and pneumatic drive sizing etc.
- over 7 years of experience in Finite Element Analysis with deep knowledge and understanding of underlying physics and mathematics
- over 10 years of machine design experience for varied industries
- over 12 years of professional use of CAD software: Inventor, SolidWorks, Alibre Design, Solid Edge, AutoCAD, experienced in use of Inventor API and programming skills to create custom tools and modifications increasing productivity
- proficient in engineering computing: Excel VBA, MathCAD, Matlab & Simulink
- proficient in office software (including MSOffice), Microsoft project, fluent in working with most operating systems (Windows, MacOS, Linux)
- experienced in VB.Net programming
- basics of programming languages: Java, C++, Pascal and programming of PLC controllers
Education & Professional Status
Master of Engineering (MEng), graduated Technical University of Lodz, a major in Mechanics & Machine Design (Specialisation: Mechanical Engineering & Applied Computer Science).
One year long Erasmus exchange, studying Aeronautical Engineering at the University of Glasgow.
Associate member of the Institute of Mechanical Engineers (AMIMechE)
Other Skills/Personal Interests
I have part taken in Environmental awareness training, confined space entry training, Autodesk Inventor Tube & Pipe course, and obtained a national water hygiene card. I have a full clean driving license since 11/2005 as well as an Inland Skipper and Powerboat licence.
I am interested in science and technology (modern physics, astronomy and astrophysics, space exploration, material science, renewable energy). I enjoy an active lifestyle (sailing, swimming, hiking). I play guitar and have two lovely dogs.